2022 Sponsor & Member Appreciation Tradeshow
Photography done by Savannah Lowery
Please email email@example.com for high-resolution images.
2nd Annual Emerging Professionals Fright Night
Presented by Bell & McCoy Lighting and Controls
Photos taken by Olivia B Photography.
September 2022 Chapter Meeting
16th St Baptist Church Museum & Parsonage
February 2022 Chapter Meeting
Healthcare Symposium: A Dignified Approach to Design
June 2022 Aviation Architecture
Powell Avenue Steam Plant Site Visit
Coffee or Walk on the Rotary Trail?
Hi AIA Family,
Do you have any idea how excited I am that we are back to face-to-face meetings?!?!?! I am doing my happy dance! Most of you know I love people and get my energy from being with people. And my favorite people are creatives, you give off the best energy. I have missed all of you. It is my goal to see each of you by the end of the year or at the very least have some type of one-on-one communication with you. I learned from COVID to appreciate spending time with you. I would love to catch up and hear how you are doing, where you are in life, what you learned from COVID, any new ideas for AIA, and just SEE you in person. Shoot me an email, call, or text and let’s get coffee or take a walk on the Rotary Trail.
I hope I see you at the June 22nd in PERSON, FACE to FACE chapter meeting at Evolutia. Yummy lunch catered by Tre Luna.
See you soon! Have a fun weekend and live grateful.
Peace & AIA Love,
Rhea Williams, Executive Director AIA Birmingham, Alabama Center for Architecture (ACFA)
Our Chapter Sponsors are the best of the best. Their continued support is crucial in everything we do; grateful is an understatement! We encourage our members to consider Sponsors first if they are in need of products or services.
See right sidebar for a full list of 2021 Chapter Sponsors.
2021 SPONSORS: See below for upcoming sponsorship opportunities at the 2021 AIA Birmingham Design Awards! July 15 at Regions Field.
VW Gallerie at VW Supply Company
(Silver Chapter Sponsor)
Thanks to V&W Supply Company for their support of AIA Birmingham!
Sponsors– As a reminder, Platinum, Gold, and Silver Sponsors get one free ad in one AIA Birmingham newsletter, a $250 value! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to take advantage of this opportunity.
6/17: Design Awards Opening Reception
AIA Birmingham Design Awards Submissions are going on exhibit at The Pizitz Food Hall from 6/15-26.
Online voting begins Monday, 6/14!
Don’t miss the Opening Reception on 6/17 and from 4:30-6:30 PM. We cannot wait to see all your faces and catch up over Happy Hour drinks! Happy Hour drink specials at The Louis Bar end at 6 PM.
Mark your calendars for Thursday, 7/15! AIA Birmingham Design Awards are happening in-person this year at Regions Field. Join us for a night of baseball and celebration of design!
Tickets & Tables- Purchase online or by check mailed to AIA Birmingham at 109 Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. S., Birmingham, AL 35205. If you mail in a check, please let us know who your attendees will be.
Interested in sponsoring Design Awards?
Download a sponsor form below and email email@example.com with any questions.
AIA Birmingham Events
Thanks to everyone who has continued participating in AIA Birmingham events virtually! We record many of our Zoom events, so feel free to check out the recordings of our March Chapter Meeting with Navigate Affordable Housing Partners and our April Meeting with First Light Shelter if you are interested.
We still have virtual events planned, but in-person events have returned!!! Keep reading to see what’s coming up.
Questions about an AIA Birmingham event or continuing education?
Click here to register for this FREE informational session!
Thanks to 1st Resource Credit Union for their support of AIA Birmingham and SEAoAL’s Emerging Professionals!
Can’t wait to see you at the June Chapter Meeting!
The first in-person Chapter Meeting since February 2020.
(Lunch & 1.5 HSWs included)
Click here to register online!
- 11:30 AM-12:30 PM: Thermally Modified Wood Presentation by Thermory USA (1 HSW)
- 12:40-1:10 PM: Reclaimed Wood Presentation & Site Tour from Evolutia (.5 HSW)
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or dietary restrictions before 6/14.
Another Great Site Visit on 6/30
Register online here!
Creature’s Mercantile on Morris project will include 47 residential condos available for purchase ranging from micro to two-bedroom. Units will feature historic charm with modern finishes. Residents will have access to a terrace that overlooks the bustling pedestrian plaza. The project has 14,000 SF of retail space available for lease. Some retail options include frontage on Morris Avenue and 1st Avenue North that opens into an interior pedestrian plaza. Through the creation of the pedestrian plaza, patrons and residents will be able to experience the development as a destination for their entire day. Join us on 6/30 to learn more!
- AIA Birmingham offers HSW opportunities and site visits throughout the year; these can also count as AXP Experience Hours!
- Free AIA Membership for new grads
- We have the Brightwood Architecture ARE 5.0 Study Guides available to check-out. Members provide a fully refundable $50 cash deposit. Click here to learn more.
4/28 Event Recap– ARE Prep: Understanding a Geotech Report
We had so much fun seeing our EPs for the first time in more than a year! Thanks to everyone who came out to MBA Engineers Geotech Lab in April. Huge shoutout to Drew Thornbury and the team at MBA Engineers, Inc. for being such gracious hosts.
5/26 Event Recap — AG Gaston Site Visit w/ SEAoAL
We cannot thank Fred Keith and Rogers Hunt, III from AG Gaston Construction for sharing their time and expertise with us! It was a treat to see the AG Gaston Motel, a place where civil rights leaders such as Martin Luther King, Jr. stayed and planned.
Learn more about the AG Gaston Motel project:
- City of Birmingham
- Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation
- National Park Service
- National Trust for Historic Preservation
Job Search Assistance for AIA Birmingham Members
- AIA Birmingham Careers Page
- New opportunities are listed regularly here!
- AIA Birmingham Member Firms can post openings free of charge. Email listings to email@example.com.
- Resume Review & Sharing
- AIA Birmingham can review your resume and share it with local firms looking to fill a position.
For additional job listings, check out the AIA National Career Center and AIA Alabama Job Board!
AIA Birmingham Members get a 10% discount when they order documents through AIA Birmingham. Click here for more information!
Helpful Links from AIA National
- Free AIA Membership for new grads
- Free AIAU Courses for members on risk management, business strategies, and virtual practice
- AIA Knowledge Communities help members connect and are a source for information
- AIA Award Programs
- AIA Legislative Action Center advocates for architects
- AIA Trust – Exclusive financial planning and insurance tools
- COVID-19 Resources
Register for all ACFA events & pay for Membership online here!
- 7/20/2021: Auburn University Urban Studio Project (HSW Pending)
- 8/10/2021: Zimmerman & David Baker Architects in Ensley (HSW Pending)
- Fall 2021: Affordable Housing Symposium with David Baker Architects (HSW Pending)
- October 2021: ACFA Golf Tournament (Benefitting Scholarship Program)
- October 2021: National Building Museum’s Evicted exhibit traveling to Birmingham
- Add the Pulitzer Prize winning book, Evicted: Poverty & Profit in the American City, by Matthew Desmond to your reading list!
Want to help the ACFA continue offering scholarships, educational outreach, and more?
Become a Member! Do you want to impact the lives of Alabamians through architecture? Give to the ACFA and help support their educational outreach initiatives such as dreamARCHITECTURE, N2 Architecture, and the ACFA Scholarship Program.
Pay for Membership online here OR mail a check to the ACFA at 109 Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. S., Birmingham, AL 35233. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about ACFA Membership!
AIA Birmingham is proud to have many Member Firms and Sponsors who belong to the ACFA:
- Adams Gerndt Design Group
- Alabama Concrete Industries Association
- B-Group Architecture
- Bill Whittaker, Registered Architect
- Brasfield & Gorrie
- Blackmon Rogers Architects
- CCR Architecture & Interiors
- Ghafari Associates
- KPS Group
- Line Scale Form
- Revolutionary Architecture
- Risk Strategies
- Studio 2H Design
- Studio C Architecture & Interiors
- Taylor Plosser Davis, Architect
- Thompson Architecture
- Williams Blackstock Architects
Participate in fundraising HSW events! The ACFA is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization. Each time you attend an ACFA fundraiser, proceeds from your purchase go directly to carrying out their mission of advancing the enjoyment of architecture and design through engagement, education, and collaboration.
Are you an Amazon Shopper? If so, consider starting your shopping at https://smile.amazon.com, and choose the ACFA as your nonprofit. Amazon will donate a portion of your sale to the ACFA!