Design Awards 2017, Presented by Crow Friedman Group & Berkley Design Professional
Reminder: Project boards are due to the AIA Birmingham office by June 1, 2017______
Interested in sponsorships?
Bar: $500 (includes 1 ticket)
2017 Chapter Sponsorships Still Available! Renew TODAY!
All chapter sponsorships expired at the end of December, so please renew today if you haven’t already! Check out the 2017 sponsorship brochure here.
THANK YOU to all our sponsors who PAID in APRIL 2017! (A full list of sponsors is listed on the right column of this page.)
Erwin & Associates
DreamArchitecture 2017 Awards Ceremonies
Join us at the dreamArchitecture Birmingham Ceremony!
Thursday, May 4th
5:30 – 7:00 p.m.
SawWorks Studio at ArchitectureWorks (130 19th Street South)
FREE – RSVP to email@example.com if you will attend!
Thank you to our local Birmingham partners and sponsors!!
TITLE SPONSOR – Gresham Smith & Partners
Christopher Architecture & Interiors
Rob Walker Architects
Lucy Design Associates
Studio 2H Design
Adams Gerndt Design Group
Studio C Architecture & Interiors
Charles Williams & Associates
Williams Blackstock Architects[/twocol_one] [twocol_one_last]Partners (In-Kind Services)
David Blackmon, AIA – Blackmon Rogers Architects
Claire Godbee — Claire Godbee Art
Jim Griffo, AIA
Randy Newlin – Alabama Art Supply
Buddy Palmer – Create Birmingham[/twocol_one] [twocol_one_last]dreamArchitecture Committee
Jim Griffo, AIA – Chair
Dick Pigford, AIA
Alicia Pughsley, AIA
Adrienne Retief, AIA
Robert Stockton[/twocol_one_last] ______
NEW AIA CONTRACT DOCUMENTS RELEASE
The American Institute of Architects (AIA) announced at A’17 Conference on Architecture the release of the 2017 edition of the A201 family of documents. This release includes updated versions of the AIA’s flagship documents, developed for the design-bid-build delivery model. Working with architects, contractors, subcontractors and owners, the AIA Documents Committee updates this core set of documents every 10 years. This helps ensure that the AIA legal form and agreements reflect changes and trends in the industry, and that the AIA Contract Documents remain the Industry Standard.
The documents included in this April release are:
- A101™–2017, Standard Form of Agreement Between Owner and Contractor where the basis of payment is a Stipulated Sum
- A102™–2017, Standard Form of Agreement Between Owner and Contractor where the basis of payment is the Cost of the Work Plus a Fee with a Guaranteed Maximum Price
- A103™–2017, Standard Form of Agreement Between Owner and Contractor where the basis of payment is the Cost of the Work Plus a Fee without a Guaranteed Maximum Price
- A104™–2017(formerly A107-2007), Standard Abbreviated Form of Agreement Between Owner and Contractor
- A105™–2017, Standard Short Form of Agreement Between Owner and Contractor
- A201™–2017, General Conditions of the Contract for Construction
- A401™–2017, Standard Form of Agreement Between Contractor and Subcontractor
- B101™–2017, Standard Form of Agreement Between Owner and Architect
- B102™–2017, Standard Form of Agreement Between Owner and Architect without a Predefined Scope of Architect’s Services
- B103™–2017, Standard Form of Agreement Between Owner and Architect for a Complex Project
- B104™–2017, Standard Abbreviated Form of Agreement Between Owner and Architect
- B105™–2017, Standard Short Form of Agreement Between Owner and Architect
- C401™–2017, Standard Form of Agreement Between Architect and Consultant
- E204™–2017, Sustainable Projects Exhibit
Free Webinar: 2017 AIA Documents Release
Find out how the new 2017 AIA documents will affect your projects by attending a free webinar on May 11 from 1-2 CST. Get insight into the revision process, key changes and how the new Sustainable Projects Exhibit can be used to provide health, safety, and welfare of building occupants. Earn 1 LU. Register > ______
CONGRATULATIONS to Jeff Dungan, AIA for winning the ACAC and Veranda Southeastern Architect of the Year!
Save the Date! ACFA Awards Ceremony
Honoring scholarship winners, newly licensed architects and donors
July 18, 2017
11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
1 Robert S Smith Drive, Birmingham AL______
April Chapter Meeting Recap – Working through the Design Review Approval Process
We hosted a Birmingham Design Review ROCKSTAR for our April chapter meeting- Rebecca Dobrinski is a freelance writer for Weld BHAM and has been covering the DR meetings for four years. Her presentation covered the history of design review, Birmingham’s master signage plan and explored a couple of case studies of good and bad projects! Thanks so much for your time, Rebecca!
Site Visit: Salvation Army Lewis School (1 HSW)
Thursday, May 11th
Old Lewis Elementary site near 21st Street North and 25th Court North. (Old street address is 2015 26th Ave North
Birmingham, AL 35234)
1 AIA HSW
RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 10th
Join AIA Birmingham EPs along with Brasfield & Gorrie & LIVE Design Group on a tour of this historic renovation in Norwood.
Topics covered will include:
- Historic Reuse – discussion on the challenges of renovation to older buildings.
- Coordination between secure areas (men’s and women’s housing)
- Community approval for this particular project type
- Mixed use fire separation
Parking: Street, site is changing daily so please look for instructions when you RSVP.
PPE: Closed toe shoes, hard hats probable.
Jobseekers – we have TONS of new jobs listed on the website! Don’t miss AIA Birmingham’s Career Page for the latest local opportunities.
Check out the AIA Career Center for all the hottest jobs and access to the Career Learning Center, which encourages an integrative career and professional development process that enhances your skill set.
Employers – post your jobs on the AIA Birmingham website! FREE for local member firms. Email Rhea or Kathryn for more details. ______