‘Continuing Education and Networking Event’
October 9, 2014
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
ALAGASCO – Center for Energy Technology
20 South 20th Street
Birmingham, AL 35296
5 AIA HSW Credit Hours towards your state requirements
1 GBCI Credit Hour for LEED Professionals
Early Bird Registration (before 9/17): $25.00
Regular Registration Fee: $55.00
Active Duty Military: FREE!
8:00 AM Registration Begins
Morning pastries, fruit and coffee provided
8:30 – 9:30 AM
Surface Innovation – Redefining Boundaries of Interior and Exterior Spaces with Ultracompact
Surfacing – ‘Dekton by Cosentino’
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #:COS06E
AIA Provider: Ron Blank & Associates, Inc.
Presenter: Courtney Bliss
In this course, we explore a cutting edge surfacing technology, ultracompact surfacing. Gain insight
into how this surfacing material possesses the same characteristics of natural stone while providing
unmatched color and design flexibility.
1. Discuss the evolution of surfaces and the various types of surfacing material for interior and
2. Define ultracompact surfacing and the innovative production process that creates intrinsically
3. Discuss designing with ultracompact surfaces in terms color, texture, and format.
4. Discuss the advantages of compact surfaces in terms of strength, durability, chemical resistance,
absorption, abrasion resistance, and ASTM testing.
5. Identify possible interior/exterior application options with ultracompact surfacing material.
09:40 – 10:40 AM
Roofing Market Trends & Advantages of Fleece Membranes & Urethane Adhesives
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | Course: SDT110
Provider: Carlisle Construction Materials
Presenter: Brandon Dawson
In this program the participants will learn the physical performance advantages of fleece membranes
that enable them to resist the forces of mother nature such as wind, hail, rain, and cold. In addition
they will learn the performance advantages of urethane adhesives that eliminate the dependence
on solvents with VOCs or asphalt derived from foreign sources of oil. Several re-roofing advantages
afforded by fleece membranes will be covered where you can re-use existing roofing systems and
minimize landfill waste. Multiple-ply membrane options utilizing highly reflective TPO or extremely
weatherable EPDM as the cap sheet will also be covered.
1. Learn the physical performance advantages of fleece membranes that enable them to resist
the forces of mother nature such as wind, hail, rain, and cold.
2. Learn the performance advantages of urethane adhesives that eliminate the dependence on
solvents with VOCs or asphalt derived from foreign sources of oil.
3. Learn about re-roofing advantages afforded by fleece membranes that can re-use existing roofing
systems and minimize landfill waste.
4. Learn about multiple-ply membrane options utilizing highly reflective TPO or extremely
weatherable EPDM as the cap sheet.
10:50 – 11:50 AM
Steep Sloped Premium Stone Coated Metal Roofing Systems
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: IMU07E
AIA Provider: Metals USA
This course will better inform the designer on how to properly specify stone coated metal
roofing system. Through a thorough review of installation procedures, cost breakdown and
system benefits to any project, the design professional attending this educational presentation
will be able to knowledgably specify a stone coated metal roofing system into their next project.
1. Define stone coated metal.
2. Depict how stone coated metal roofing is manufactured.
3. Explain the benefits of stone coated metal roofing.
4. Describe the installation methods for stone coated metal roofing systems.
5. Discuss how specifying stone coated metal roofing systems may contribute towards a
project earning LEED certification.
6. Describe how stone coated metal roofing systems are energy efficient & Energy Star
7. Explain the cost benefits of stone coated metal roofing systems.
12:00 PM Lunch Provided by the Seaman Corporation
1:00 – 2:00 PM
2:10 – 3:10 PM
Drafting an Understanding of Polished Concrete
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: AFP1
AIA Provider: CureCrete – AIA Provider #: J550
Presenter: Deke Rife
Understanding Polished Densified Concrete utilizing the RetroPlate System of polished concrete.
1. Densified Polished Concrete.
2. Identify the challenges, disadvantages of using floor coatings and membranes as opposed to
chemical densifiers. Identify the advantages of using chemical densifiers over floor coatings and
3. Learn how the process of concrete densification eliminates the need for additional applications,
and can enhance the overall performance of concrete for the life of the floors, when using the
right chemical densifier product.
4. Identify the added benefits that polishing can add to densified concrete and the low life cycle cost
factor when compared to other types of flooring materials and coverings such as tile, terrazzo.
3:20 – 4:20 PM
The Health Product Declaration (HPD): An Ingredient List for the Built Environment
AIA course number: GCE00F | 1 AIA HSW CE Hour
GBCI ID: 920000114 | 1 GBCI CE Hour (pending)
AIA Provider: GreenCE
The average American spends the vast majority of their time indoors. However, most people are not
unaware of the numerous chemicals and materials they are exposed to on a daily basis, nor do they
understand the hazards associated with these substances. As such, the need for a standardized way
of reporting the health impacts of building materials is desperately needed. In this one-hour course,
the design professional will become familiar with the Health Product Declaration TM (HPD), a material
ingredient reporting standard developed under the guidance of the HPD Collaborative TM. We will
explore how HPDs contribute to the creation of healthier buildings, how to read and interpret an HPD,
and how the HPD can contribute to points in LEED v4.
· Define the objective of the HPD.
· Discuss why the HPD is important for human health, and how it can contribute to healthier
· Explain how products with an HPD can contribute to points in LEED v4.
· Recognize the HPD format, and understand what constitutes a “compliant” HPD.
· Interpret the information presented in an HPD and appreciate how HPD can be used by design
‘This Agenda is not a final schedule, and is subject to updates, additions and changes’