- This event has passed.
April Chapter Meeting: Working through the Design Review Approval Process – 1 LU
April 18, 2017 @ 11:30 am - 1:00 pm$15
Due to a conflict in scheduling, the Powell Steam Plant tour will be rescheduled for May or June. We are disappointed too, but we have top secret info you need to make your design review go smoother and faster!
Tuesday, April 18
11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Alabama Center for Architecture (109 Richard Arrington Jr Blvd South, Birmingham AL 35233)
$15 members & sponsors | $30 nonmembers
Register here if paying with a credit card:
RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org if paying with cash or check!
Seating is extremely limited, so reserve your seat today!
We will have a DESIGN REVIEW EXPERT sharing her tips for working through the Design Review approval process gleaned from her experience writing about biweekly meetings for the last four years. This presentation will explore how best to work through Birmingham’s Design Review approval process by learning the history of design review, Birmingham’s master signage plan and case studies
Rebecca Dobrinski has a passion for the past. She currently serves as the Executive Director of the Birmingham Holocaust Education Center, and is a freelance writer at WELD, where she has been covering Birmingham’s Design Review Committee meetings since 2013. She has a BA in History and Sociology from UAB, a Master’s in Historic Preservation from SCAD and a Master’s in Urban History from UAB.
Some of Dobrinski’s career highlights include:
- Essay on “Why Birmingham?” published in the Etched in Collective History (Civil Rights Movement 50th Anniversary) exhibition catalog. Also served as editor of the publication.
- Writer and columnist for publications including Zen Dixie, Weld, BurnAway, Magic City Post, The Terminal, and The Hockey Writers.
- Volunteer Coordinator for the Birmingham Girls Club Conference in October 2013.
- Volunteer Coordinator for the Y’All Connect social media and blogging conference, held annually in Birmingham in June.
- Venue Planner for the 2014 TEDxBirmingham conference.
- Grants & Proposals Manager as well as the My Museum magazine and curatorial publications editor at the Birmingham Museum of Art.
- Additional experience in museum exhibit coordination, project management, scheduling, budgeting, and contracts.
- Chair of Oak Hill Cemetery Auxiliary Board: coordinating volunteer events, planning the annual historic tour, and managing the new book club. Oak Hill Cemetery is on both the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage and the National Register of Historic Places.
Cancellation policy: Must give 24 hours’ notice of cancellation. If you cancel less than 24 hours before or do not show up to the meeting without notice, you will be billed the cost of the meeting.