AIA Birmingham Emerging Professionals are a large part of our chapter’s success. We plan events and activities geared specifically towards recent graduates, Intern Development Program (IDP) participants and young architects. Most importantly, we want YOU to succeed in your career as an up and coming architect.
Have thoughts about site visits, study sessions, or other suggestions to help improve AIA Birmingham’s EP network? Let us know… contact an EP committee member with your ideas.
Charlie Abram, Assoc. AIA
Birchfield Penuel & Associates
Wondering where the value is in being an Associate AIA Member? See for yourself….
Total price of Associate Membership – $284 (includes national, state & local)
National benefits include: https://www.aia.org/pages/21136-become-an-associate-member
- New Graduates Receive Free AIA Membership for Up to 18 Months
- Free AIA National Convention registration in Orlando, FL, April 27-29
- Dues Payment Plan – Pay your membership over 6 months
- Dues waiver if you are unable to continue your membership due to financial hardship
- Access a range of expertise through a peer network of nearly 88,000 colleagues.
- Signify that as an AIA member you adhere to a professional code of ethics and share a common goal to build better a better world for all people.
- Architecture Experience Program (AXP) assistance, including help finding AXP coordinators and mentors
- Architect Registration Examination® (ARE) study resources and instruction to support you on the path to licensure.
- The Emerging Professional’s Companion, an online resource to gain AXP credit.
- National Associates Committee (NAC) programs, activities, and resources that ensure you have a strong voice within the AIA. You also receive relevant news and announcements by e-mail and social media.
- AIA Transcript to track AIA continuing education provider courses. Associate members and interns can earn AXP Supplemental Experience hours by completing approved AIA continuing education courses. One AIA Learning Unit is equal to one AXP supplemental experience hour.
- AIA Knowledge Communities, up to 25 professional interest groups that help you build a peer network with like-minded colleagues who share your professional interests and aspirations.
- Subscriptions to AIA Architect, e-newsletter covering news, practice, and key trends; ARCHITECT, and the official journal of the AIA.
- AIA Career Center assistance to find internship and professional opportunities.
- AIA Advantage discounts on products and services such as shipping, credit cards, technology, and more.
- State AIA provided ARE Structures Seminar
- AIA state convention
- AIA administrative help and support
- Job placement assistance / Resume services
- Check out ARE books- FREE for AIA members (with $50 refundable deposit) – $1,300 value (if purchased by you or your firm)
- ARE seminars to help you learn, study and review material
- FREE access to EP chapter activities such as site visits, study groups, resume writing seminars, trade shows and ALL AIA-hosted functions (holiday parties, open house, etc.)
- Associate Member price at all chapter activities
- Continuing education to assist with IDP requirements
- Networking Opportunities
JUST GETTING STARTED? LET AIA HELP YOU!
Click the icon to link to the NCARB (National Council of Architectural Registration Boards) so you can get your record started.
AIA Continuing Education courses can be used for some of your elective AXP hours. 1 AIA HSW Learning Unit or Continuing Education Unit equals 1 AXP experience hour. For helpful information about the AXP program, visit https://www.aia.org/pages/2661-axp-resources.
www.ncarb.org – Information on ARE testing and licensing procedures
www.boa.alabama.gov – Alabama licensing information
www.prometric.com – Information on local testing centers
www.epcompanion.org – Online resource to aid in gaining IDP credit
http://www.ncarb.org/ARE/ARE5.aspx – ARE 5.0 Information
TAKING THE ARE?
ARE 4.0 Study Guides
Kaplan ARE 4.0 Study guides are available for checkout at the AIA office. Included in each package is a study guide, a set of flash cards, and a question and answer book.
Rules for checking these materials in and out:
Deposit: $50 CASH deposit (returned to you as soon as all materials are checked back in)
Check out period: 2 weeks
Late fees: $1 per day for every day past 14 calendar days
Please call the AIA office or email email@example.com with any questions or to check out books.
Download the authorization to test number application here!
A lot of interns don’t realize they need an authorization to test number to schedule and start taking the ARE. Alabama allows interns to register for an authorization to test number after they have completed six months of IDP hours which then allows them to start testing.
Important Test Center Information
You should arrive at least 30 minutes before your scheduled exam appointment. You will need:
- An official photo ID with a signature (Accepted forms of ID include: a valid drivers license, passport, military identification with photo, or national identification with photo.)
- ARE Test Voucher (if applicable)
You must remain in your seat during your examination, except when authorized to leave by test center staff. Each division includes one mandatory 15-minute break. Scratch paper and pencils are provided and may be replaced as needed during the test. You may not remove scratch paper from the test center under any circumstance.
You should notify test center staff immediately if:
- You experience a problem with your computer, or
- An error message appears on the computer screen.
If you experience software or hardware problems, please wait to see if the test center administrator can resolve the problem. The computer software has been designed to suspend testing time in the event your computer must be restarted. If your technical difficulties cannot be resolved, your examination will be rescheduled at your earliest convenience at NO COST.
Reporting Testing Concerns
DO NOT wait to receive your test results before expressing your concerns. You must report concerns in writing within 10 days of your examination to the ARE Helpdesk—not NCARB. Filing a report with the test center administrator does NOT satisfy the requirement of notifying the ARE Helpdesk directly. The ARE Helpdesk can be reached at:
ARE Operations Helpdesk
1200 Lenox Drive, Suite 100
Lawrenceville, NJ 08648
A copy of the letter to the ARE Helpdesk should also be forwarded to your registration board and NCARB.