AIA Birmingham Emerging Professionals are a large part of our chapter’s success. We plan events and activities geared specifically towards recent graduates, Intern Development Program (IDP) participants and young architects. Most importantly, we want YOU to succeed in your career as an up and coming architect.
Have thoughts about site visits, study sessions, or other suggestions to help improve AIA Birmingham’s EP network? Let us know… contact an EP committee member with your ideas.
Jonathan Meadows, Assoc. AIA
Emerging Professionals Director
Bill Segrest, AIA
ARE Liaison/AIA Birmingham President Elect
Wondering where the value is in being an Associate AIA Member? See for yourself….
Total price of Associate Membership – $275 (includes national, state & local)
National benefits include: http://www.aia.org/join_categories/AIAS078908
- New Graduates Receive Free AIA Membership for Up to 18 Months
- Dues Payment Plan – Pay your membership over 6 months
- Dues waiver if you are unable to continue your membership due to financial hardship
- Discounts at places like Fed Ex, UPS, Kinkos, Hertz & Dell (see website for more details)
- State AIA provided ARE Structures Seminar
- AIA Administrative help and support
- Job placement assistance
- Check out ARE books- FREE for AIA members (with $50 refundable deposit) – $1,300 value (if purchased by you or your firm)
- FREE access to Chapter activities such as site visits, study groups, resume writing seminars, trade shows and ALL AIA-hosted functions (holiday parties, open house, etc.)
- Intern Member price at all chapter activities
- Continuing education to assist with IDP requirements
- Networking Opportunities
JUST GETTING STARTED? LET AIA HELP YOU!
Click the icon to link to the NCARB (National Council of Architectural Registration Boards) so you can get your record started.
AIA Continuing Education courses can be used for some of your elective IDP hours. If you do not already have an AIA number, you can e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org your NCARB number and request one free of charge (students and interns only). For helpful information about the IDP program, visit http://www.aia.org/professionals/idp/index.htm.
www.ncarb.org – Information on ARE testing and licensing procedures
www.boa.alabama.gov – Alabama licensing information
www.prometric.com – Information on local testing centers
www.epcompanion.org – Online resource to aid in gaining IDP credit
http://www.ncarb.org/ARE/ARE5.aspx – ARE 5.0 Information
TAKING THE ARE?
ARE 4.0 Study Guides
Kaplan ARE Study guides are available for checkout at the AIA office. Included in each package is a study guide, a set of flash cards, and a question and answer book.
Rules for checking these materials in and out:
Deposit: $50 CASH deposit (returned to you as soon as all materials are checked back in)
Check out period: 2 weeks
Late fees: $1 per day for every day past 14 calendar days
Please call the AIA office or email email@example.com with any questions or to check out books.
Download the authorization to test number application here!
A lot of interns don’t realize they need an authorization to test number to schedule and start taking the ARE. Alabama allows interns to register for an authorization to test number after they have completed six months of IDP hours which then allows them to start testing.
Important Test Center Information
You should arrive at least 30 minutes before your scheduled exam appointment. You will need:
- An official photo ID with a signature (Accepted forms of ID include: a valid drivers license, passport, military identification with photo, or national identification with photo.)
- ARE Test Voucher (if applicable)
You must remain in your seat during your examination, except when authorized to leave by test center staff. Each division includes one mandatory 15-minute break. Scratch paper and pencils are provided and may be replaced as needed during the test. You may not remove scratch paper from the test center under any circumstance.
You should notify test center staff immediately if:
- You experience a problem with your computer, or
- An error message appears on the computer screen.
If you experience software or hardware problems, please wait to see if the test center administrator can resolve the problem. The computer software has been designed to suspend testing time in the event your computer must be restarted. If your technical difficulties cannot be resolved, your examination will be rescheduled at your earliest convenience at NO COST.
Reporting Testing Concerns
DO NOT wait to receive your test results before expressing your concerns. You must report concerns in writing within 10 days of your examination to the ARE Helpdesk—not NCARB. Filing a report with the test center administrator does NOT satisfy the requirement of notifying the ARE Helpdesk directly. The ARE Helpdesk can be reached at:
ARE Operations Helpdesk
1200 Lenox Drive, Suite 100
Lawrenceville, NJ 08648
A copy of the letter to the ARE Helpdesk should also be forwarded to your registration board and NCARB.
Alabama Council AIA – Intern Friendly Firms:
- Davis Architects
- GA Studio
- Goodwyn Mills & Cawood, Inc.
- Hendon + Huckestein Architects, P.C.
- Herrington Architects, PC
- KPS Group
- Rob Walker Architects
- Williams Blackstock Architects